Descriptions and Requirements for Scholarships
The American Council of the Blind of Ohio offers six scholarships each academic year. The application and reference forms may be downloaded using the links below or can be requested by calling 614-261-3561 or 800-835-2226.
Descriptions of ACBO Scholarships
The scholarships are as follows:
- Friends Of Freshman Scholarship – $1000: offered to an incoming college freshman who is blind or visually impaired.
- Max Edelman Scholarship – $2000: offered to a legally blind undergraduate student in any field of study.
- David Newmeyer Scholarship – $2000: offered to a legally blind undergraduate student in any field of study.
- Joann Fischer Scholarship – $2500: offered to a legally blind graduate student in any field of study.
- Linwood Walker Scholarship – $2500: offered to a legally blind graduate student in a service-related field (e.g. teaching, health, public administration, etc.)
- Nola Webb-Mckinney Scholarship – $2000: offered to a blind or sighted graduate or undergraduate student pursuing a degree in a blindness related area (e.g. special education, rehabilitation, teaching or counseling, orientation and mobility, or concentrating in programs serving persons who are blind or visually impaired).
Requirements for ACBO Scholarships
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an Ohio resident or attend an Ohio school in a two-year or more post secondary degree program.
- Be legally blind (except the Nola Webb-Mckinney Scholarship)
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Be willing to attend the 2019 ACB-Ohio convention
Past scholarship recipients may reapply. A current scholarship application must be completed each year to be considered. Applicants must have three letters of reference, an official transcript, and a current eye report in addition to the application except for those applying for the Nola Webb-McKinney Scholarship.
The degree of financial need is not the sole determinant in the selection process. Completed applications must be postmarked no later than August 1, 2019 or received by 11;59 PM via email on that date.
All scholarship winners are required to attend Saturday workshops during the 2019 ACBO convention held November 15-17, 2019. The cost of the convention, including registration, meals, workshops, and hotel accommodations, are covered for each recipient. We also cover the cost of lunch on Saturday for two guests per scholarship recipient.
Forms and Instructions
- complete the 2019 scholarship application (Microsoft Word)
- complete the 2019 scholarship reference form (Microsoft Word)
Send the completed application packet to:
ACB Ohio Scholarship Committee
3805 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43214
All materials may be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.