Descriptions and Requirements for Scholarships
The American Council of the Blind of Ohio offers scholarships each academic year. The application and reference forms may be downloaded using the links below or can be requested by calling 614-261-3561.
Descriptions of ACBO Scholarships
The scholarships are as follows:
- Friends Of Freshman Scholarship – $1000: offered to an incoming college freshman who is blind or visually impaired.
- MAX EDELMAN-DAVID NEWMEYER Scholarship – $4,000: offered to a legally blind undergraduate student in any field of study.
- JOANN FISCHER-LINWOOD WALKER Scholarship – $5,000: offered to a legally blind graduate student in any field of study.
Requirements for ACBO Scholarships
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an Ohio resident or attend an Ohio school in a two-year or more post secondary degree program.
- Be legally blind
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Be willing to attend the ACB-Ohio conference and convention
Past scholarship recipients may reapply. A current scholarship application must be completed each year to be considered. Applicants must have three letters of reference, an official transcript, and a current eye report in addition to the application.
The degree of financial need is not the sole determinant in the selection process. Completed applications must be postmarked no later than July 15, 2023 or received by 11:59 PM via email on that date.
All scholarship winners are required to attend Saturday workshops during the ACBO conference and convention November 10-12, 2023.
Forms and Instructions
- Read the 2023 scholarship cover letter.(Microsoft Word)
- 2023 scholarship application (Microsoft Word)
- 2023 scholarship reference form(Microsoft Word)
Send the completed application packet to:
ACB Ohio Scholarship Committee
3805 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43214
All materials may be sent via e-mail to email@example.com with Subject: “Scholarship Application”.